The Beach
I sat on the side table for days, completely unnoticed. Many people came and went, because apparently it was a festive season called Hari Raya. Everybody wore beautiful and colorful clothes, and they all looked happy. There was a constant flow of food and drinks, and they looked pretty appetizing too. I was beginning to doubt the reason of my existence. I came into the world naively believing that I am the most useful item one could have, and here I sit in this house, uncirculated. Suffice to say, I was demoralized.
Soon after, less visitors came to the house. Finally, it was just the old man, his elderly wife and me. The wife was dusting the house one day when she found me. She picked me up and shaked her head. She let out a heavy sigh and said, "Children these days never understand the value of money." Then she gave me smile and put me in her pocket.
I must have dozed off for the next few hours, but when I woke up, it felt very warm. I was outside, in the sunshine. It felt very nice. The sun was shining bright, the sky blue. What a nice day, I thought. I felt a breeze. I heard waves splashing. I must be at the beach! How exciting! The old woman walked up and down the white sandy beach, and she seemed very pleased with herself. Such energy for an old woman. "You go girl!" I thought.
As I was admiring the old woman's energy, I suddenly felt the world shaking around me. Thud! The old woman fell to the ground. I fell out of her pocket and saw that her toe was bleeding. She must have hit a stone or something. Immediately, a crowd gathered around us, and people started to help her up. I realized I was still half-buried in the sand. I panicked.
"Hello? What about me?"
Naturally, nobody heard.
"Hello!!! I'm with her!"
What was I thinking? They'll never hear me, so I gave up.
After a while, the crowd dispersed, and there I was, all alone in the sand. I sulked. The day became hotter, and I was quite grateful that at least half my body is covered with sand. Many people walked by, but no one saw me. At one point, I thought I caught the eyes of a little boy, and my hopes went up for a few seconds. But he gazed across and ran over to his mother.
It's alright, I told myself. This beach bustles with activity. People swimming, having picnics and barbeques, coming back from fishing in the ocean and all sort of other things. Soon enough someone will find me. I just have to be patient. Just wait. Just wait. I waited determinedly and watched the sun set. It was brilliant.
But it wasn't soon enough. Night fell and it grew cold. The wind blew hard. I could hear some music in the near distance, but the beach is empty. It was just me.
It was one of the scariest nights of my life. I have never felt so lonely. I prayed to my Creator for a better fate tomorrow.
Soon after, less visitors came to the house. Finally, it was just the old man, his elderly wife and me. The wife was dusting the house one day when she found me. She picked me up and shaked her head. She let out a heavy sigh and said, "Children these days never understand the value of money." Then she gave me smile and put me in her pocket.
I must have dozed off for the next few hours, but when I woke up, it felt very warm. I was outside, in the sunshine. It felt very nice. The sun was shining bright, the sky blue. What a nice day, I thought. I felt a breeze. I heard waves splashing. I must be at the beach! How exciting! The old woman walked up and down the white sandy beach, and she seemed very pleased with herself. Such energy for an old woman. "You go girl!" I thought.
As I was admiring the old woman's energy, I suddenly felt the world shaking around me. Thud! The old woman fell to the ground. I fell out of her pocket and saw that her toe was bleeding. She must have hit a stone or something. Immediately, a crowd gathered around us, and people started to help her up. I realized I was still half-buried in the sand. I panicked.
"Hello? What about me?"
Naturally, nobody heard.
"Hello!!! I'm with her!"
What was I thinking? They'll never hear me, so I gave up.
After a while, the crowd dispersed, and there I was, all alone in the sand. I sulked. The day became hotter, and I was quite grateful that at least half my body is covered with sand. Many people walked by, but no one saw me. At one point, I thought I caught the eyes of a little boy, and my hopes went up for a few seconds. But he gazed across and ran over to his mother.
It's alright, I told myself. This beach bustles with activity. People swimming, having picnics and barbeques, coming back from fishing in the ocean and all sort of other things. Soon enough someone will find me. I just have to be patient. Just wait. Just wait. I waited determinedly and watched the sun set. It was brilliant.
But it wasn't soon enough. Night fell and it grew cold. The wind blew hard. I could hear some music in the near distance, but the beach is empty. It was just me.
It was one of the scariest nights of my life. I have never felt so lonely. I prayed to my Creator for a better fate tomorrow.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home