Thursday, July 14, 2005

The Beginning

Hello.

I am a 50 sen Malaysian coin. I was born in October 2004. I'm silver, about 1.5 inches in diameter. There's an engraving of a hibiscus on my face, and a wau-bulan (malay traditional kite) on my back. I would like to tell you the story of my life, my adventures and misadventures.

From the mint, I was sent to a bank with a bunch of other 50 sen coins who look exactly like me. The early days seem to be a haze of events, but I could tell that I was being carried from one place to another, until I finally reached a bank. I can't remember what bank it was, but the general color scheme was yellow.

I stayed at the bank for a few days, and it was cold! To my luck, one fine October day, a man came in and took me out. He was older, not like the men I usually see working at the bank. He carefully wrapped us into a piece of cloth which he tucked under his belt. He brought me to his home, and kept me in his drawer, along with about 100 other 50 sen coins. It was mainly dark in his drawer, so I didn't know what happened for quite a while.

One day the old man took me and my mates out of the drawer. He separated us into different little sachets, one each. I was nervous. It was the first time that I got separated from my mates.

"Oy! What's going on here?" I shouted from inside my sachet.

"I don't know, dude, why are we being put into different little envelopes?" said one friend.

"Where are you?" I asked, feeling very claustrophobic.

But that was the last time I heard from my friend.

A few minutes later I heard laughter. Children, i think. They were shouting "Selamat Hari Raya!! Selamat Hari Raya Tok!!" They sounded very happy.

I felt myself being put into the hands of a small child. She greedily ripped the flap over my sachet, and peeked inside. She looked at me for a few seconds, and started to cry. I was confused. What's happening? Aren't people supposed to be happy to see me?

Then I heard her say, "I want more! This is too little!" in between her heavy sobs. Her mother tried to pacify her, "Don't cry darling, you'll upset grandpa." In the end the mother took me from the girl's hand, and gave her another sachet. She took a peek, gave a jump of joy and ran away. The mother sighed and placed me on the side table.

If the hibiscus on my face could wilt, it would wilt the moment I heard her say those words. It was the day I found that, by myself, I am just an almost worthless piece of coin. Even a little girl could tell.

And so began my adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home